Students who do not have a good background in California state and local government should look at several texts with great care. They should prepare themselves by reading about California government in local newspapers, The California Journal, (see especially the Journal's California Government and Political Annual for the current year) and other periodical sources.
The following texts are recommended:
- Lawrence L. Giventer, Governing California, 2004
- Lawrence Brewster and Genie Stowers, A Primer of California Politics, 2004
- Larry N. Gerston, Terry Christensen, David Tatom, Janise Fry, California Politics and Government: A Practical Approach, 2002
- Charles G. Bell and Charles M. Price, California Government Today: Politics of Reform, 1997
- John H. Culver and Lorie L. Shelley, Politics and Public Policies in California, 1997